Pfullendorf was founded by the Alamanni tribe and named Dorf am Phoul (Pfuol), meaning village on the Phoul. It was made a Free imperial city in the Holy Roman Empire on June 2, 1220 by Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor. Starting in 1383, Pfullendorf governed itself with a democratic guild constitution, with annual election of the mayor. With brief interruptions, this guild constitution remained in force until 1803 and was a model for other cities. At the Council of Constance in 1415, King Sigismund gave the city the right of higher judgment, that is, the right of execution at a blood court. This meant that Pfullendorf was answerable only to God and the Emperor. Although the Protestant Reformation, the Peasants’ War, the Thirty Years’ War, the French Revolution and the Black Death left their marks on the region, Pfullendorf was able to avoid major destruction. In 1803, Pfullendorf became part of Baden, and it remained an administrative center in the upper Linzgau until 1936. It then became part of the district of Überlingen, and has been a part of the district of Sigmaringen since 1973. From 1972 to 1976, the neighboring villages of Aach-Linz, Denkingen, Gaisweiler, Tautenbronn, Großstadelhofen, Mottschieß, Otterswang, and Zell-Schwäblishausen became part of Pfullendorf.
The town of PFULLENDORF, the former “FREE IMPERIAL CITY” is halfway between the BODENSEE (LAKE CONSTANCE) and the Danube valley. The altitude of the area varies between 602 and 741 metres above sea level. The twin towns are ALLSCHWIL in Switzerland and SAINT-JEAN DE BRAYE in France.
The biggest employers are ALNO Möbelwerke (kitchens) with 2.050 employees and GEBERIT GmbH (sanitary) with 1.350 employees. There are about 80 civilian employees working for the army at the Generaloberst-von- Fritsch-Kaserne. Pfullendorf also has numerous middle and small sized enterprises.
The office of Culture regularly organises events in the Municipal Hall of PFULLENDORF. These include musicals like: “Westside Story”, “The Rocky Horror Show”, “Hair” and “My Fair Lady” or plays like “Anne Frank’s Diary” and “The Broken Jug” as well as plays especially for children.
- Badminton – Shooting – Horse riding
- Hiking – Aeroplanes – Walking
- Body-building – Fishing – Guided tours
- Curling on asphalt – Cycling – Gymnastics
- Swimming – Sauna – Massages
- Playing tennis/squash
HISTORY OF THE GENERAL OBERST-VON-FRITSCH-KASERNE, now the STAUFER KASERNE
The barracks were built in the late 1950’s and named after the artillery General Freiherr von Fritsch (1880-1939), who was Commanding General of the German Army from 1935 through 1938. When Hitler assumed command of the Wehrmacht, von Fritsch was obliged to resign. He was killed in action a few kilometres outside Warsaw in 1939. From 1959 until 1991 the Divisional Artillery Group of German 10th Armoured Division occupied the barracks. In October 1991, they were replaced by two light infantry battalions, which have been subsequently disbanded.